Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2012


Pitch week was yesterday and I have feedback!

My idea and aim has now morphed from leitmotif. Basically I pitched my idea and it was to narrow a playing field for research and possibly to intricate for what I am actually wanting to look into. So I have now enhanced my previous research questions to suit my new research topic. My aim is now:

Explore various compositional techniques that may be used to change the emotional response to a character over the period of a film.

This is still a weak research question but captures the areas I wish to look at, research and write about. Leitmotif on its own was to niche an area for my research, the way a character can change over time through use of music however is something I am very interested in. I have a bunch of ideas for things I would like to research in relation to my topic. These include:

  • Compositional Techniques
  • Narrative Theory
  • Music and Psychology 
  • The Emotional Response to Music in Film
  • The History of Character Themes - Opera and Orchestra
  • Music Theory in Film - Inversions, Chord Choice, Major or Minor, Dissonance etc.
  • Film Studies and Theory
  • How to Establish a Theme and How Will this Progress
  • How Characters Change Over Time
  • How Film Music is Made Up - Clear points of change - eg. use Technique A point A then use technique B at point B which can take you to Technique C
  • Study Case studies based on Narrative, Characters and Film. 
My first idea to have  my own shot at using the compositional techniques researched in a practical manner is to take a static image, possibly of a dark shadowed character that looks evil and create a dark character theme for them. I will then begin to enhance their theme over several different incarnations that embody the character but change our perception of them.

For the final project I wish to use a piece of original film that uses my own compositions that express the emotional feeling of the characters used and explore that character through music and help them grow and become the character that they end up as through the music. This may be with them starting of evil and becoming good or starting of isolated and alone and finding someone to be with them.

My backup for if my project at any point goes wrong on the practical side is to do the same project as above but to an already made film.
The reason that I want to use an original piece of work is that a commercially available film that people know will already have a distinct path that the viewer may already know, they may know how the film originally sounded and what the outcome is which may hinder the response that my research and practical work warrants. It may also hold me back creatively as the music used in a pre made film would then be the music I may associate with that scene and how that character develops. I don't want there to be any pre conceived ideas of a characters development but instead a fresh viewpoint on an original piece of work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment